Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Refinements! (I must have been a bad girl)

It's been 2 days now. 2 days since the office manager at Dr. A's office called to let me know that my refinements were in. I suppose I could have just let it be a surprise but I couldn't suppress the urge to ask how many trays there would be.

There are 23U/13L.

In case you are not familiar with my story I had 20U/21L initially.

I thanked her and tried to put on a brave face as I told my husband and a close friend. 23 more but perhaps I won't need to wear them for the full 2 weeks? Or won't need attachments? Or...

Well I went in this morning for my appointment (which was also 15 minutes lately despite me leaving before 7 to get there on time but that's a whole other matter) and it looks like none of the above.

There are 23 trays. To be worn 2 weeks each. There will be attachments (not until tray 3). Lots of them. Including my front teeth. Apparently this was a bit of a surprise to Dr. A as well although he did mention that the movements will be smaller and more precise. He also thinks my bite will feel a lot better after this round. It's still a bit of an unpleasant surprise after my first round of trays though. Having said, I do appreciate that I don't have to wear my months old trays anymore and that the new ones fit so much more snugly.

My teeth will hopefully be nice and straight by the end of this round (although it's likely that after 23 trays I will need at least another round of refinements) but for now I think I'm just going to mope and pout to my husband for a bit longer. heh. le sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lemon,

    Haven't commented in quite some time but I read your blog every week. First of all, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm at a similar point in my treatment and it's amazing how often your thought's on Invisalign have mirrored mine. It's always great to know you're not alone as you undertake the journey to (hopefully) better teeth. I hope you continue to blog throughout your refinement period. You have a great writing style and are a pleasure to read.

    I am surprised to hear about your refinement trays. That's not good news for me. My teeth haven't responded as well as yours. In fact, my dentist is cutting off my initial round four trays early (certain teeth aren't moving as planned) and instead wants to go directly into refinements. Apparently they have developed some type of new attachment technology that he believes will work better for me. Based on your results, I've resigned myself to at least another year of trays, sigh. I'll find out for sure later this month. My one hope is to avoid attachments on my front teeth. But after hearing your story I have a sinking feeling…

    Anyway, I am impressed with your results so far and I hope you stay committed. Thanks again for telling your story.

    Regards,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for your kind words. It's good to hear from you again anad nice to know someone is following this blog regularly.

    I'm sorry your teeth haven't responded as well to treatment but who knows, it's always a surprise when you hear back from invisalign! As for me, I figure, it's may be another year but I don't really have any timelines I need to meet anymore so it's not biggie just periodically inconvenient if I'm out or on vacation.

    It's funny that you mention it but I was thinking of cutting down on my posting during refinements as they will be less obvious movement from here on in. Having read this, I may rethink it.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete