Sunday, February 22, 2009

Starting to see some changes (end of tray 5 update w/pics)

I'm not sure what's changed but these past few days I've been so enamored with my invisalign trays. Whenever I think of them my heart flutters for just a moment and I break out in a wide smile. I don't know what it could it be. The anticipation of changing trays tomorrow? The knowledge that the gaps made by Dr. A behind my cuspids during my last visit with IPR will finally close? Realizing that 3/4 of my bridesmaids had braces (the 4th is blessed with beautiful, naturally straight, white teeth but is considering invisalign to straighten a single stray tooth surprisingly) and knowing my teeth won't be quite as snaggy by then? Or perhaps because I'm finally noticing some very subtle changes in my teeth?

I'll let you judge for yourself if there are any noticeable changes and then I'll post some old pictures and point out some of the changes I see.  (Note to self:  Remember to take more pictures in the bathroom during the daytime, the teeth look so much whiter!)





(note gap between cuspids and pre-molars from IPR, 
to be closed with tray 6)

Don't worry about it if you don't notice any differences, they're not major.  What I've noticed is that my cuspids or eye teeth are not as flared.  Also my right cuspid ("Snaggy") is starting to line up with its neighboring lateral incisor which is nice to see.  My bottom teeth are starting to look a bit straighter too which is nice to see. 

Here's a couple of pictures of my from week 2 for comparison:



One thing I've noticed is that my teeth don't 'fit' together as well as they used to, differences in my bite and how much easier/harder it is to floss in some places but I figure a lot of it is just "getting worse before it gets better" stuff so I'm not going to fret about it too much.

Having said that, while no one's really noticed any major differences in my teeth (with the exception of myself, my mom, and possibly the fiance (not sure if he is just trying to make me feel better)), a few people have commented on how discrete they are.  This is a bit surprising to me given that I have 11 attachments in total.  I had a few friends over for dinner last night and one point A (a dental hygienist) asked me if I was wearing my trays (I was) because she said she couldn't see them and B who was sitting next to me (and recently had her ceramic braces taken off) said something the same effect.  Another friend sitting across from me did comment that she could see them though.  Still 2/3 isn't bad :)

I came across an article the other day about Japanese culture and how a lot of Japanese folks find 'yaeba' or double teeth cute and attractive.  Some examples:  here: http://yaebasuperstar.blog123.fc2.com/  In the Philippines, apparently wearing braces and even fake braces has become trendy as they're very expensive there and suggest that the person wearing them is quite well to do.  

I find it really interesting how one's culture can color how they perceive the world and others and teeth seem to be a good example of that.  heh... makes me wonder if I would gotten my teeth straightened if I lived in Japan or gone for metal braces if I lived in the Philipines...

No comments:

Post a Comment