Thursday, March 26, 2009

Eating with invisalign

Yikes - I've always been on the thin side but lately (my fiance) and I have noticed a sizable bit of tummy hanging over the edge of my jeans.  I'm not quite sure how that happened especially with Invisalign but I do know one thing's for sure, once my mom spots the offending bit of tummy she will quickly point it out, perhaps poke it a bit and remind me to exercise.  Or worse yet, she'll warn me in a foreboding tone that if I don't keep a close eye on things I may not fit into my wedding dress(es).  I don't know if it's something that's common amongst Asian moms or not but that's my mom.  I do still love her though.

Anyhow, back in the fall when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I initially lost quite a bit of weight.  Eventually once I began to eat solid foods again, I tried to follow the Canadian food guide as closely as possible to make sure I ate balanced meals.  Given that I was already thin to begin with, I didn't want to disappear into my wedding gown.  Once I started Invisalign, I had to adjust my meals again so that all the snacks I was used to eating two to three times a day could be incorporated into my meals.  I even drank meal replacements shakes some afternoons to circumvent any weight loss.

A picture of a typical lunch is below:


It seems then that I've succeeded in gaining weight while using Invisalign where so many others have lost it.  All I can say is that it's too bad the extra weight couldn't have been more effectively targeted.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't know how you managed to gain weight eating so little and healthy! I commend you though because sticking to such a healthy lifestyle is no small feat. They do say though that eating small meals throughout the day, which is what it sounds like you did pre-invisalign, helps speed up your metabolism. So now, maybe since you can't snack, your metabolism has slowed down a bit, causing the little extra around the tummy. Oh the things we're willing to sacrifce for a better smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lemon, I posted a comment a few weeks ago (I think you were on tray 5). We are currently on the same set of trays. I started 8 this week (of 26U and 28L). After seeing your latest pictures I do think I see a difference from the last time I checked in. Sometimes it seems disappointing because you expect things to improve with each tray. In reality, however, I think the early trays often are used to make room for the movement of the teeth into their final positions with the later trays. It looks like yours are starting to move into position with the current trays.

    Also, thanks for posting you clincheck. I'll have to ask my doctor for a copy of mine. It sure beats staring at the different trays trying to see the differences in each set like I do now.

    Anyway, I hope your treatment continues to go smoothly. Best of luck to you!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments.

    Becci - I was thinking along the same lines as you regarding the weight gain. I may have overeaten a little bit but I think a slowdown in my metabolism is definitely a contributor as well. Can't wait 'til our new elliptical arrives this week.

    Anthony - I'd definitely encourage you to ask for your clincheck. I didn't think to ask until I saw other people post theirs. It also helps those days when it seems like the teeth just aren't moving. Funny, I went back to the dental hygiene clinic for a third follow up visit and the hygiene student who's only seen me a few times over the past month remarked that she noticed a difference! All the best to you too!

    ReplyDelete